Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
The Garden Ridge Water Company is excited to announce the development of Advanced Metering Infrastructure, or AMI, in our small town! We will be upgrading to AMI from the current drive-by automated meter reading (AMR) system. That means Garden Ridge is upgrading the City’s water infrastructure system as part of an investment in the future of our community. The AMI system will improve accuracy and information available, to include a customer portal which will improve transparency and empower residents to take control of their water usage.
- What is AMI? - AMI stands for Advanced Metering Infrastructure. It's a method of using communication technology to read meters remotely without having to access the meter located in your yard.
- Why is the City undertaking this effort? - AMI systems are quickly becoming the standard for utilities around the country. The current water meters are not compatible with the advanced metering infrastructure system and all meters will need to be replaced. These new devices allow for more accurate and faster collection of water usage readings than the current manual method and improve safety conditions for City staff.
- How does it work? - The City of Garden Ridge has chosen a fixed based network that provides two-way communication from the meter box to a strategically located Base Station. The City is replacing water meters throughout Garden Ridge with new meters equipped with a meter transceiver. The meter transceiver is used to collect and transmit meter reading data, unique identification numbers, operating status, and various alarms at regular intervals to the Base Station. Click here to view a graphic!
what are the key benfits?
- Cost savings: A smart meter deployment offers cost savings through early leak detection and water consumption notifications. These benefits are only available after signing up for the H20 Analytics Customer Portal. This portal will give you 24/7 access to your water usage.
- Read Accuracy: AMI produces more accurate reads and customer bills - AMI systems have a 99.9% accuracy rate.
- Reduction of CO2 emissions: AMI enables utilities to check meter status and monitor usage from an office, which reduces the number of times a truck is sent to the field and lessens CO2 emissions. AMI also eliminates monthly drive-by meter reads and reduces manual meter reads, which lessens CO2 emissions.
- Centralized event monitoring: Utilization of granular interval data and a state-of-the-art analytics enables real-time, centralized system-wide performance monitoring ranging from pinpointing leaks, tampering, and more.
- Increased Field Service Safety: This enhanced communication increases safety for service crews and customers alike while reducing costs of unnecessary field visits.
AMI Pilot program
Click the link below to sign up for our Pilot Program. Be one of the first residents in Garden Ridge to have access to the new AMI System.
customer portal coming soon!
Installation Map - Coming Soon
Installation is slated to begin in December 2020. Please help us save time by checking the area around your meter box. Please clear landscaping, personal water sensors or other items that are blocking access to your water meter.
- 09/02/20: City Council awarded bid to Lubin Enterprise and Kamstrup for an AMI System and MDMS