- Public Works
- Oak Wilt
In an effort to maintain the beauty Garden Ridge enjoys from its numerous oak trees and to prevent and combat the spreading of destructive oak wilt, the City Council approved Ordinance No. 71.
Due to limited availability of state and federal grants for abatement expenses, the City Council approved Resolution No. 404-022017 , which established the Oak Wilt Cost Sharing Program. This program is designated for the sole purpose of reimbursing residents for a portion of approved oak wilt abatement expenses, and the intent of the policy is to provide assistance to residents who diligently worked to abate oak wilt on or near their property and that have complied with Ordinance No. 71.
Help us fight Oak Wilt in Garden Ridge
We ask each and every resident to help us fight this devastating disease. Please consider the following:
- Trim oaks only between July 1 and January 31.
- Paint all wounds on oak trees immediately after trimming, even if they are caused by yard equipment or acts of nature. This is mandatory.
- Remind your neighbors to paint wounds on oak trees.
- Report unpainted wounds on oak trees to the City.
- Tightly cover red oak firewood that has not completely dried.
- Become educated on Oak Wilt.
Educational information for Oak Wilt
- Garden Ridge Oak Wilt Public Education Session
- Presentation for Garden Ridge Oak Wilt Session
- Pruning Oaks
- Economic Impact on property values due to Oak Wilt
- Texas A&M Forest Services-Oak Wilt
- Texas Oak Wilt Organization
- Texas A&M Forest Service Website
- Texas A&M Forest Service-Map My Property
- Texas Tree Planting Guide
- Texas Conservation
If you suspect an oak tree is infected please contact the city immediately at 210-651-6632.
Oak Tree leaves infected with Oak Wilt
- What is Oak Wilt?
- Can My Trees Get Oak Wilt?
- Can Oak Wilt Spread?
- How Can I Prevent My Trees From Getting Oak Wilt?
- Does The City Have Cases of Oak Wilt Within City Limits?
- Can Residents Receive Financial Assistance For Oak Wilt Abatement?
- How Can I Help With Oak Wilt Abatement?
- Where Can I Learn More About Oak Wilt?